Thunderfunk TFB750A & Jule Monique Comparison/Observation

I've had several people ask me about the difference between the Thunderfunk 750A and the Jule Monique. I figured it best to put down my observations in a blog. While this is by no means a thorough, scientific shootout, maybe it will be useful to anyone considering a Monique purchase, especially if they have experience with the Thunderfunk head (or similar head).

Before we get started:
Warning, this might get wordy! I like to talk about music and gear. Hey, I am an old musician that is fortunate enough to afford gear far beyond my playing ability. My gear, music, and hanging out with my musician friends make me happy. So indulge me......
This is not a post to declare a winner between these two heads. When you get to this level of gear, you are going to discover subtle difference and things that you favor over another. As far as I am concerned, I am talking about top-tier equipment. I will be pointing out differences between the two. Not weaknesses, since it is my belief that I have two of the best, most versatile bass heads available today. I will not be super technical when explaining this equipment, I will mostly put my experience in my own words. Also, this information is my opinion only, and would probably vary with another player.

Equipment used:
Thunderfunk TFB750A
Jule Monique Rack
Crest ProLITE 2.0
fdeck Series 3 HPF
Radial Big Shot ABY
Aguilar GS112 (2)
Aguilar GS112NT
Yeahman custom cables
2013 American Standard Limited Edition Fender Precision
Mid '90s American Standard Fender Jazz Bass
1996 Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Mid '70s Fender Precision Bass

OK, let's get started!

Thunderfunk background:
I have been using a Thunderfunk head (with Aguilar GS cabs) since November of 2009. I used a 750A as my primary and a 550B as a secondary/backup. Previous to that, I was using an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro. Although the Ampeg served me well, I was ready to move on to something different. The Thunderfunk 750A won out after an extended test between several heads, at Atlanta Bass Gallery, which included an Aguilar DB750. The Thunderfunk won out over the Aguilar DB due to: weight, versatility, massive EQ section, and the Enhance & Timbre adjustment. Plus I could come close to the DB sound with the TF but not the other way around.
The things I really like about the TF is the quality construction, the EQ (which is great) and the fact that the tone is very tight and solid. Coming from a Peavey Firebass 700 and the Ampeg SVT 3, the massive solid notes coming from the Thunderfunk were quite an experience. I can easily find the tone needed for any venue I play. I will say, it took a while to get used to the Thunderfunk! You have so many options, plus, it really does project a solid/clean tone. The Fender Jazz, in my opinion, is a perfect match for the Thunderfunk. Of course, it's always been my opinion that it is very hard to get a bad tone out of a Jazz. When I decided I was gonna start playing my old Fender P bass, it was quite and adjustment. At first, I thought the TF and P bass didn't want to get along. It took a good bit of setup on the P and different EQ settings before I was comfortable with the pair. Once I did get things sorted out, I loved the Thunderfunk/Precision pairing! This combination will really set well in a mix. In a short time, I became pretty comfortable with the Thunderfunk settings. It doesn't take long for me to dial in a good tone with the Thunderfunk EQ and enhance/timbre adjustments. Needless to say, I really like the Thunderfunks.

The road to Monique:
I started playing with another band about a year and a half ago. While I was perfectly satisfied with my rig, I started noticing several posts on TalkBass forum about a product called "Monique". I mostly ignored them for several months, however one day I thought I would check out one of the posts. Mostly to see what a Monique was. After reading a couple of posts, I went back and read every post related to the Monique preamp. As I read the posts and did research, I thought it would be a good idea to have something new and totally different. So I ordered a Monique Rack Model and a Crest ProLITE 2.0 in June. I took delivery of Monique about the second week in August. I put the components in an SKB 6U rack using Yeahman cables. I also use an fdeck series 3. I also use the Radial ABY as a switcher for the tuner and a mute to the amp.
The construction of the Monique is first rate! Beautiful wiring/soldering and quality components. Plus, you could not find a better person to do business with than Jule. He is first rate!

So, how does the Monique/Crest sound?
It sounds great! I am still in a learning mode with Monique. It is safe to say that I still haven't found my default settings. I took Monique to practice the same day she arrived. Using one Aggie GS112, I was very pleased. Naturally, when acquiring new equipment, you want to play with it and spend as much time as possible learning all about it. I was playing Monique every possible minute. Most of this play time has been here at home in the music room. Our gigs have slowed down. We have had two shows since I purchased Monique. Both shows were different from our normal gig and quite unique. I play in the house band at our local theatre. On a normal show, we do about six songs, plus the introduction and ending song. Sometimes we back the local talent and even the featured act. At the first show with Monique, we had a very different stage setup than normal. Plus, I was sharing my rig with the local talent. The good thing about this was, I had an opportunity to hear Monique with a different player using a totally different bass. It sounded great. However that night, with this being a new rig and the different stage settings etc.... I wasn't totally comfortable and tended to play it safe. On the second show with Monique, we once again had a totally different stage setup and we did a lot more songs. I was learning about 18 new songs, and sharing my rig with other guests. Once again, I was able to hear Monique in a band setting and it sounded great again. I did do a little more experimenting with the EQ and sensitivity setting this time.
I have to be honest, I feel like I am at a disadvantage since I haven't used Monique much in a live band setting. However, at weekly rehearsals, Monique sounds great!

So, is Monique all I thought it would be?
Yes it is, and so much more. I love playing through Monique. It is a very musical pre. Paired with the Crest ProLITE, I have tons of headroom. Since the EQ and sensitivity on the Monique appear to be subtle, at first you think you are limited. This couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is, the controls are subtle, however very useful and very powerful. The sweep of the EQ setting are very useful. The sensitivity adjustment is a chameleon setting. A setting that at first seems subtle, the sensitivity, with it's push/pull knob, has a wide range of settings. I am still experimenting with the sensitivity and feel that I am just now understanding just how powerful it is. Actually, I have determined that at first, I was trying to use too much sensitivity when the song would have been much better served with little or no sensitivity. The sensitivity goes from glassy smooth to driving through it's range. Then you can pull the knob out for an additional boost. It can really change to tone of your bass. It also responds well to your picking. From soft to aggressive, it translates your right-hand technique in a very musical way. I think the most amazing thing about Monique is, you will find it difficult to get a bad tone out of her! It is just that good. Every setting, while being different, sounds really good and very musical. You can increase the low EQ and it adds substantial bottom BUT it never gets muddy. The same applies with the high and mid controls. If there is one setting on Monique that doesn't set well with me, it would be turning the Mid EQ all the way counter-clockwise. Just about any other combination of settings sounds great. I have learned to be careful with the sensitivity, at times I can overdo it. In my opinion, Monique has everything I need and nothing more! The settings are very useful, the DI sounds great, it has solid construction, and Jule is quick to lend a hand with any need and/or questions I have.

So, if Monique is so great, how does it stack up against my Thunderfunk?
Well, I can't quit playing through Monique! While the Thunderfunk is a GREAT head, and I know just what to do to get a good solid setting with it, Monique is such a different beast. I must emphasis this; Monique and Thunderfunk are very different heads. You can get a similar tones with both, but they are still very different. First, there are some settings on the Thunderfunk that don't sound good. If you don't understand EQ frequencies, you can mess up quick. I know this may sound silly, but you would be surprised at people that don't have a clue about the frequency spectrum and how to adjust for different situations. This is both good and bad. If you know what you are doing, you can get a great tone in just about any environment. If you don't know what you are doing, and don't understand the controls, you won't be able to get the optimum tone from TF. The Monique, on the other hand, every setting I have tried sound good AND musical. Let's face it, you have high, mid, and low, plus the Sensitivity control. Although you can find some settings in certain situations that are not optimal, it never sounds bad or harsh. I think that is, ironically, one of the frustrating things about Monique. So many of the settings sound great. It's not like you can easily find a range of useful settings (or one ideal setting) and go from there, it all sounds good! This is something I am still working on. I guess I am trying to find "my default settings" with Monique and she won't allow it.

What are the most glaring difference between the two?
The Thunderfunk, with all EQ settings straight up, and the Enhance and Timbre off, has a mid boost to me and is very tight/polite in the bottom. The Monique has a very full bottom, but without any mud or boom. The mid and high is controlled and musical on Monique. You can boost the high and mid and get a more aggressive tone, but it is still controlled and musical. Never harsh. You can cut the bottom on Monique and still get a great tone, just less of the lows. Even with cutting the lows, you still get a solid low and a good musical sound. Too much cut on the Thunderfunk EQ and it starts getting thin. Of course you should expect that from the Thunderfunk, it has a great, very useful EQ. This is not a big deal, but with the Thunderfunk, when the limiter is engaged, if I set the gain at around 7, it can sometimes have a weird overtone to it, nothing glaring, but I notice it. That is rarely the case, but it does happen. With the Thunderfunk, I can easily boost the mid, high mids, and high easily and precisely. Of course the Timbre control on the Thunderfunk is a very useful tool. Generally a slight boost in this area fills out the lows very well. With that said, the bottom does seem to get a little dark with the Thunderfunk as opposed to Monique. It is not a glaring thing, but I notice it. The Thunderfunk is a very controlled, tight sounding head. Monique is VERY organic and natural sounding. The Monique has a ton of lows, but so far, it has never sounded muddy or uncontrolled. It is different and has taken some getting used to coming from the pristine sounding Thunderfunk. Totally different animals.

In closing......
Keep in mind Monique and I are still on a Honeymoon. That being said, my equipment is a collection of tools I use to make the best music I can. I firmly believe that you need to spend time with any new equipment and learn how it works and get to know it. I do a lot of research before I buy equipment. I also take a good deal of time to get to know new equipment and how to best use it. Rarely do I purchase and then flip equipment. I mostly buy for keeps. I am still learning Monique. I am nowhere close to being comfortable with Monique just yet. It is so different from what I have been using for the last four years, it's gonna take a while to discover all of the magic of Monique. At this point, with all of this great equipment, I think the next step in my tone quest is a mid-loaded cab to match with Monique. The Baer ML112 has got my attention at the moment. Based on what I have read and getting to know Monique a little better, I think it would make a single (or pair) of Baer ML112s scream! The GS112 cabs are great. They are well built, solid cabs. However, my tone is changing and I am eager to match Monique to one or two ML112s. We will see. My thoughts are, pairing the wonderful strong lows of Monique with the mid-loaded ML112 would be the best of both worlds.
I can't see getting rid of Monique. I just love it! It makes playing fun. Plus, I haven't settled in on my default tone with Monique. The quest continues. By the same token, I don't see selling the Thunderfunks in my future. Even though they have been relegated to backup status, they are great heads and I don't think I could do better as a secondary/backup head. I honestly thought when I purchased my Thunderfunks that I would never buy another head again, not to mention a rack system. The only way I would consider selling the Thunderfunks (and this is a stretch, but not totally out of the question) is to replace them with a DeMonique.

Anyone considering a Monique, in any configuration, will simply have to try one. My thoughts are, you won't regret it! Monique is a great sounding pre, it is lightweight, built like a tank, and Jule offers great support. I will offer this, if you decide to take the plunge, take time to learn how Monique works. I know Monique is not for everyone, but it is hard for me to imagine not falling in love with this piece of equipment! I know I have!!!

Later,
Dave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up and using OnSong

Being Proactive versus Reactive

AudioKinesis Hathor 1203 Bass Cabinet